What's New This Year in the English Department?
- This year we welcome a new full-time faculty member, Cheri Buck-Perry, as Core Instructor. Professor Buck-Perry’s main teaching responsibility will be English 112, Teaching through Literature, but she will be available to advise and mentor English Majors. She is a longtime part-time member of our department, and we will all benefit from her wisdom and experience. Stop by her office (BC 241) to say hello.
- Now for events and extra-curricular opportunities. First, our chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English National Honor Society, continues to provide opportunities for networking and serving the community. The department chair (in this case Dr. Brassard for one more year) serves as faculty sponsor, and seniors Emily Fitzgerald and Morgan Mann serve as president and vice-president, respectively. Be sure to contact them with any questions you may have about Sigma Tau Delta, including criteria for nomination, activities, and opportunities open to members only.
- Our Department Blog is a great way to share information among current and former English Majors, and also a great opportunity to gain valuable writing and editing experience. Starting this fall Dr. Sarah Weiger will serve as faculty sponsor for the Blog, and Managing Editors will be Morgan Mann (Fall) and Stephen Kellar (Spring). Be sure to contact them if you wish to get involved; each academic year we need between three and five students to serve as Contributing Editors to insure that the Blog serves the students’ needs and responds to your interests.
- If you missed chances to dine and relax with favorite faculty members last year, you’re in luck: our English Lunch Table tradition will continue this year, with monthly opportunities to get to know your peers and professors outside classrooms or offices. Look for announcements on the blog and via emails for upcoming dates.
- Our student publication, Writers Magazine, will be seeking editorial board members for this year’s issue (published in April). For more information, contact Faculty Liaison Fr. Pat Hannon or Senior Editor Morgan Mann.
- Our Readings & Lectures Series, organized by Dr. Larson and Dr. Brassard, brings a fine roster of writers to the Bluff each year to read from their work, visit classrooms, and answer questions about their craft. Look for the complete list on our Readings & Lectures page. This year we are thrilled to host Portland-based fiction writer Willy Vlautin, the author of many novels and also a longtime member of the band Richmond Fontaine. Other authors include Seattle-based poet Jane Wong (April). The Schoenfeldt series is equally exciting this year, with the Idaho-based Anthony Doerr, the author of this year’s ReadUP selection, the terrific novel All the light we cannot see, coming to campus in February.
- Lastly, save the date of Saturday March 25 for NUCL, our thirteenth annual Northwest Undergraduate Conference on Literature. Dr. Molly Hiro and Dr. Joshua Swidzinski will be conference co-chairs. NUCL accepts submissions for analytical papers on any literary topic, as well as personal essays and poetry. Check the NUCL website for information about the conference, including opportunities to serve as panel respondents. Interviews for three intern positions will take place around November.